About

Photo of St Peter's Gilgering church and graveyard across a field of yellow flowers. The sky is full of grey clouds.

St Peter’s Church, Gilgering was built in 1858 with the support from local families living at Gilgering and the surrounding areas.

Located on the banks of the Avon River, the Church can be accessed by a short road leading from the Great Southern Highway, halfway between York and Beverley, Western Australia.

The Gilgering Cemetery surrounds the church on three sides and the first known burial (with headstone) is Susanna Parker, in 1860.

Formerly owned by the Anglican Diocese of Perth, St Peter’s Church, Cemetery and Glebe, Gilgering was transferred as legal tenure to the National Trust of Australia (WA) on the 6th May 2014.

Friends of St Peter’s Church, Cemetery and Glebe, Gilgering Inc was registered as an incorporation in 2013. The members work in consultation with the National Trust of Australia (WA) to promote the conservation and interpretation of St Peter’s Church, cemetery and surrounding grounds.

The Friends lease the property from the National Trust (WA) and are responsible for the:

  1. Ongoing administration of the incorporation,
  2. Maintenance of the building and surrounding grounds, and
  3. Organising fundraising events as support for the conservation work of the site.